Thursday, September 03, 2009

Chicken Corn Chowder















This chicken corn chowder was very good. I found the recipe in the May 2004 issue of Everyday Foods. You will find the recipe below. I have only made some minor adjustments! I added legumes to mine, if you are using dried, make sure you boil and boil em first! Or else they are crunchy!

Chicken Corn Chowder
2 tblsp butter
1 small onion - diced
2 stalks of celery - thinly sliced
2 tblsp corn starch - (use flour if you don't have any cornstarch)
1/2 cup of half and half cream
3.5 cups of milk * if you don't have cream, use 4 cups of milk *
1/2 left over cooked chicken (I used a whole store bought/cooked chicken - Bella got the bits I didn't use)
2 cups of 1" cubed cooked potatoes - the kind that hold their shape when cooked, like red skinned ones. sweet potatoes or yams would be good added to this too!
1 cup cooked carrots.
1 can of corn (I would use the PC blue menu no salt added but I had 4 pc's of fresh cobs, and that was plenty!)
1/2 cup of legumes (precooked - so canned might be best)
pinch of cayenne pepper, coarse salt, ground pepper - to taste

1. melt butter in pan, add onion and celery - cook over medium heat 5-7 min.
2. add cornstarch - stir for one min.
3. add milk/cream - bring to a boil, stir occasionally.
4. add potatoes, corn, carrots and cayenne
5. season with salt and pepper
6. bring to a boil again
7. reduce heat to medium, simmer for 5 - 7 min.
8. butter up some toasted crusty bread for dipping!

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!! I LOVE reading them! so much fun!