Sunday, March 22, 2009

Party Banner

The past few days have been pretty busy. My Fella's Bday + cleaning + watching my boy grow.
We've also had some sad news - the passing of a beloved family member, a cousin of my hub's family. A dear soul who will be sadly missed.

At Christmas time I got this stinking cute Happy Birthday banner from my MIL (thank you!) and I LOVE it... I couldn't wait to hang it and use it... well, I finally got my chance for my Hub's bday. It's adorable don't you think? and a little while ago I saw this cute 'how to' for making your own banners. They are super easy to make, and there is NO TALENT required... at all... You start with a 5 inch sq pc of fabric {Cindy} - who makes these awesome quilts - was so incredibly sweet and gave me some from a Moda Charm pack (this really makes this craft EASY) all you do is fold the square in half, cut diagonally (ie: corner to corner) and you have a triangle, then using prefolded bias tape (found at any decent 2nd hand store) stick the top of the triangle into the fold of the bias tape and sew away...I just stuck mine in randomly so I have random spacing. I am going to be using them for upcoming shoots. seriously, I love them.
For Hub's bday, we (babe and I) made choclate cake - standard store bought mix - but we had homemade icing - goodness, it was all I could do to keep myself from eating the ENTIRE pot of it.
I ate so many cupcakes, I don't even LIKE marshmallows...I seriously made myself sick..., but really worth it.
The recipe for the icing is from CDKitchens and is as follows

Brown Sugar Marshmallow icing:
12 large marshmallows, cut in small cubes
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

Stir brown sugar and milk over low heat until dissolved.
Cover the syrup for about 3 minutes
Uncover and cook without stirring to 238 degrees F.
Remove from the heat and add marshmallows and butter

wait for it to cool a bit, then ice whatever you're wanting to ice.

1 comment:

  1. Sympathies to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!! I LOVE reading them! so much fun!