Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bones and Chocolate Biscoti

A beautiful day yesterday was. The boy and I had a playdate with a group of local mommy's (and one daddy) and all kinds of cutie pie kiddies. We (the boy and I) made some easy Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti. The original recipe is Chocolate Pistachio Biscoti by Martha Stewart (who else could it be?) But I have loads and loads of farm walnuts and hazelnuts, so I use them. and I don't bake them until they are as crisp as regular biscotti... I like them a bit cake-y.
I use (this time anyway) white chocolate chunks. the recipe follows. They are awesome with milk or a latte...
After the playgroup we went to the farm for a walk...on which we saw something dead..I thought it was a snake, M said it was a mink or something. Whatever it was.. it was interesting. Doesn't this mink pic make you want to rush out and make the biscotti right away?

Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 Cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup shelled walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or white chocolate chunks

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a baking sheet
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter and sugar, and stir to form a stiff dough. Stir in walnuts and white chocolate
  3. Form dough (on baking sheet) into a flattened log, 12 by 4 inches.
  4. Bake until slightly firm, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
  5. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
  6. On a cutting board, using a sharp knife, cut biscotti - 1-inch-thick slices.
  7. put biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet, and bake until crisp but still slightly soft in the center, about 5-8 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I looked at the pic before I read the post and thought "gosh, that biscotti looks like it has TEETH!"

    That'll teach me to look before I read, eh?

    Terrific pics as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!! I LOVE reading them! so much fun!